Here's a photo of my poinsettia that I took this afternoon. Pretty much ho-hum.
Auto-corrected using Microsoft Picture it!. Not much improvement.
The first thing I did was increase the contrast. I used Microsoft Picture It! to do all the editing.
Then I clicked on the color options and increase the red and green, but didn't change the blue/yellow. I also increased the saturation. Looking better.
Then I sharpened the photo, and straightened the photo by clicking on the top and bottom of the window frame. Almost done!
Here's the finished product. Just like #4 above except it is cropped. I could have pulled it in tighter, but I wanted the center of the blooms to bisect the rule of thirds line at the top of the photo.