Many of you were impressed by this edited shot of my amaryllis, and I appreciate all your positive comments. I've also received a request to explain how I achieved these results. I'm not sure, but I know I saved parts of it along the way, so I'm going to try to repeat the process.
Here's the photo I started with. It is slightly transparent, and I wanted to go with that idea.
The first thing I did was use the edge finder to draw around the outside of the flower, buds and stem. The I saved the selection and blurred the background.
Here is one of my first saves. I had left a space around the selection, then blurred the background. Since I hadn't made a clean selection, there is a blurry area around the flower that is different from the rest of the background. Back to the drawing board. The next time, and used the magic wand to make the selection by color, since the area I wanted was darker than the background. By increasing the tolerance, and adding a few places, I was able to make and save a clean cut of the flower, buds, and stem.
Unfortunately, I stopped saving my changes. I know I applied a Gaussian Blur to the background, and I also added color, but I'm not sure how I did that. At some point, now I think, I applied a transparency, I can't remember if it was just to the background or the whole picture. It must have been the whole picture. I may have also increased the saturation and contrast of the flower, but I don't remember where in the process I did that. I am going to order a print of this one right now!