Just a few notes about how I made this wall hanging. Each large set of squares is made from four 5 inch squares. I used Moda charm packs, but you could cut your own. All of the fabrics were from Me and My Sisters for Moda. I used squares from four different collections: Amelia, Dilly Dally, Twirl, and Good Morning. They all have the same color families with similar designs. The easiest way to get a lot of variety in designs and color is with charm packs. I bought all of mine from Etsy. I buy most of mine from Charmpacks. She has an Etsy shop and she also has a web site. She really knows her stuff and I get in touch with her any time I have a question about fabric.
Back to the construction of the wall hanging. After I laid out the squares and liked the arrangement, I started stitching them together. It’s a good idea to take a photo of your layout and print it so you can refer to it as you go. It is really easy to get squares and sets turned around! I also press each 1/2 inch seam open as soon as I stitch it.
After I had the sets of four stitched together, I stitched the sets together with a 2 inch wide strip of white fabric to resemble window panes. I stitched the horizontal rows together first to make three sets, then added the long strips to those sets. So it was short vertical strips first then the horizontal strips.
Then I squared everything up and added the two inch border around the edges, mitering the corners. Since all of my other seams were 1/2 inch, I used a 1/2 inch seam for the border, too.
At this point, I cut a piece of backing and a piece of batting that were 2 inches bigger than the wall hanging. I layered the three pieced starting with the backing, then the batting, then the top, making sure each layer was smooth. Since the total size was only about 30 inches, I pinned the layers together with straight pins.
I machine quilted through all three layers, starting in the middle and working my way out. Instead of turning the fabric at the corner of each square, I fastened the thread 1/4 inch from the edge, picked up the needle and presser foot, and moved to the next square. I continued stitching in a straight line until I came to the edge, then moved back to the middle again. It was easier to pick up the needle than to turn the fabric every four inches.
After I finished the quilting, I went back on the top and the bottom and clipped all the threads that had carried over.
I like a little added pop on the edges so I added an edge of a contrasting color, yellow in this case. I cut 1 1/2 inch strips the length of each edge, then press them in half before stitching them to the top of the quilt with the raw edges together using a 1/2 inch seam. I let the strips lap over each other at the corners.
Then I cut 2 1/2 inch wide strips of the fabric that I wanted to use for the binding, stitching the pieced together with a diagonal seam until the strip would reach around the edges of the wall hanging, plus several inches. For me, the easiest way to cut the two ends so that you will end up with a diagonal seam is to lay both strips together, right sides up. Use a straight edge and a rotary cutter to cut through both layers at a 45 degree angle. Then when you turn the top strip over and match the raw edges, it will be ready to stitch with a narrow seam.
I stitched the binding to the quilt leaving a five inch long tail. Each corner will need to be mitered. Then when you get back around to where you began, leave enough room to fit and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle and stitch them together before you finish stitching the binding to the quilt. Fold the raw edges to the back and fold them under, finishing the fold by stitching it to the backing by hand.
There are lots of resources about quilting on the web. And many different ways of accomplishing the same results. This just happens to be the way that works best for me. Find the way that works best for you!